Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Practicum 7 - Friendship formation

I wanted to comment on the potential for social activity on my personal homepage before I wrap it up with my final post.


I've found that opening up the website for requests for episode counts for shows someone else may like has also opened up the opportunity for forming friendships or, at the very least, dialogues. I've gotten the chance to tweet back and forth between a few people that were curious about episode counts for a few of their favorite shows. I got to learn why they were interested in the counts and what kind of things they liked, TV and otherwise. I'm not sure I would call the connections friendships at this point but sharing common ground certainly can't hurt the relationships. I posted my Facebook and email information on the website, too, but no one has used those. I feel as though using Facebook for such a request may be too intrusive and personal, since Twitter has an atmosphere of detachment with the high-profile celebrity usage.

All in all, I think a personal homepage has great potential for social interaction, something I did not think was true at the beginning of this project. I do think the interaction is most likely to thrive via social networking sites that everyone uses and not the homepage itself. I have yet to try anything more advanced on the website that would include a comments box.

I just realized I haven't posted the website link in any of these posts so here it is.
http://www.wix.com/vicksvapor77/episodecounts

No comments:

Post a Comment